SPEC 2019 (Thursday morning)

After some time in the chapel, it was time for the campfire with cocoa.  The children joined in with some rousing songs followed by a haunting melody played on the harmonica by one of the children displaying their talents as if by way of a prelude for tonight’s talent show.

We got the children as tired as we could but now we could not put off the moment we adults had been dreading- bedtime! Nineteen boys in one room, 14 girls in another,  away from home for the first time. What could go wrong?

To allay any fears, we told them they could, in an emergency, reach us instantly, at any time in the middle of the night, by pressing the doorbell to our rooms. We gave them the definition of emergency outlined by the Oxford Dictionary:

EMERGENCY – ‘a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action’
Oxford Dictionary:

However, something was lost in translation-

The Year 5 definition of emergency:

“I heard some of the other boys talking”; “I know you said we could use the toilet but I just thought I’d check”; “Is it time to get up?”;  “I’m not sure about my toe.”

Needless to say, there were no emergencies (adult definition) and although lively, the children were all happy; safe and sound and there were no tearful situations in the night.

We are all ready for the day ahead.

Early risers

Now off to breakfast!