Reception Home Learning – 26.02.21

Happy Friday everyone!

Reading tricky words/Letters and Sounds

Let’s revisit our recent sounds and tricky words learnt so far.

Watch the video below with your child.  You may wish to pause the video at various points to discuss some word meanings, particularly the ‘ure’ words.  It also introduces the concept of double consonants ‘When we see a double consonant, we normally just say one phoneme’ eg. as in ‘letter’.  This will be a new idea for many children.

For extra challenge:

• Spot tricky words in your child’s story books.
  • Learn to spell the tricky words.

Write a sentence –  I can …..

Encourage your child to write a sentence.  

I can …….

To begin, talk to your child about things they can do.  For example, ‘I can brush my hair’, ‘I can jump’ or ‘I can run’.

Write your own sentence and model writing for your child. 

As usual, encourage your child to use their sound mat for support and write the sounds he or she can hear and knows.

‘I can run’ is a good sentence to start if you child requires a little encouragement.

This activity is to encourage your child’s independent writing, so celebrate their efforts and use of sounds even if not spelt correctly.  The idea is that the words spelt match the sounds they can hear and they can read back their writing.

Maths

One more, one less game

The video below demonstrates how to play this game:

Here are the written instructions:

Top tip:

Notice the mathematical vocabulary used in the video.  It is important to encourage your child to say out loud what they are doing eg. ‘I landed on one more, I’m on 15 now and 16 is one more than 15’.  There are a variety of ways your child could articulate their thinking.  Try to model many variations in your language so your child becomes familiar with them.

Here are all the different ways of saying one more or one less.

Religious Education/Understanding the world

Growing

May I begin with a little reminder to send me, via Tapestry, your child’s Lenten promise as mentioned in my blog on Monday, 22 February.  Ideally, ask your child to draw a picture to display at home.  This can act as a visual prompt to help your child during this season of Lent. 

Lent is a time to work at growing spiritually in preparation to celebrate the death of Jesus and his resurrection at Easter.  This process involves growing in many ways. It is not always easy.  When talking to your child about their Lenten promise, stress that it’s about growth rather than change.  We are growing inside in a special way; in goodness, kindness, caring and love.

Plant some cress or something similar that grows very quickly.  Focus on what is happening over time.   

Cress is one of the easiest things to grow and what’s more, you can grow this indoors – perfect for getting those green fingers ready for the spring.  It also goes lovely in those egg sandwiches that you can have all year round!  It is ok to use cotton wool to grow cress.  Talk to your child about how other plants normally need nutritious soil.  However, cress still needs water, sunlight and warmth and love to grow.  Just like we do!

On your daily exercise, have a quiet moment together to reflect on and appreciate the plants that are beginning to grow.  Again, reflect on the things which help to make things grow e.g. food, water, sunlight etc.

The following prayer may help your child to reflect on the meaning of Lent and remember their Lenten promise.

Jesus remember me when you come into your Kingdom.
Jesus you are so good. Help us to grow in goodness.
Jesus you are so kind. Help us to grow in kindness.
Jesus you are so caring. Help us to grow in caring.
Jesus you are so loving. Help us to grow in loving.

Invite your child to add their own words.

Help your child recognise the cross as something special to be venerated with love and respect.  Try placing a cross in a place of honour, enshrined with growing plants and flowers.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.

Nicola Palmer